Global Cash Index, Spain Edition 2018
ThePYMNTS.com released its Global Cash Index, Spain Edition, which showed that Spaniards still like to use cash. According to the report, more than 20 percent of rural Spain use cash for everyday transactions.
Key Findings in the Global Cash Index: Spain Edition
- Spain boasts an average of 107 ATMs per 100,000 people, one of the highest in Western Europe.
- The country has an average of 67 bank branches per 100,000. Meanwhile, in Western Europe, the average is 38 bank branches per 100,000. The worldwide average is 28 per 100,000.
- Spain’s cash share in 2016 accounted for 22.9 percent of the country’s GDP.
- Spain scores 41 out of 100 on the ATM Availability Index. That’s greater than the Western Europe score of 33 out of 100 and the worldwide average of 28 out of 100.
- Overall, approximately €253 billion in cash was spent in Spain in 2016.